Emerging Communities Education Group
Our tutors help secondary and tertiary students with their studies in a friendly and supportive environment.
Our Emerging Communities Education Group promotes learning outcomes for children and their families from the Horn of Africa in the South-East. Families are predominately from the South Sudanese community experiencing disadvantage and are at risk of disengaging from education due to low literacy skills and limited access to resources.
Program tutors help primary and secondary students with their studies in a friendly and supportive environment.
The Frankston Homework Club forms part of the Emerging Communities Education group (ECEG), strengthening educational engagement, social inclusion and the health and wellbeing of young people and their families from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
To address the needs of community members, seven specific activity types are currently provided through the ECEG:
- Individual and small group homework support for students with peer tutors from Woodleigh School
- Mentoring, personal goal setting and vocational and life skills for senior students
- Early years support including structured play, socialisation, story time and school readiness
- Adult EAL (English as an Additional Language) and Community Information Sessions
- Weekly swimming classes supported by Lifesaving Victoria and Peninsula Aquatic Recreation Centre
- Social and recreational activities including school holiday activities
- Annual community events
Who is eligible
We work with the whole family including students in primary and secondary, parents, and children in early years, who have experienced educational and environmental disruption and trauma, and live in Frankston, Dandenong, Casey and Cardinia Local Government Areas.
When and where
Our Homework Club runs on Tuesdays during school terms 4 – 5.30pm at Monterey Secondary College, 20 Silvertop St, Frankston North.
For community enquiries:
Community Engagement Coordinator
Phone: 0490 500 042
For volunteer enquiries:
Phone: 0482 186 103